Thursday, September 26, 2013

Teaching

Curiosity is little more than another name for Hope. 
~Augustus William Hare and Julius Charles Hare, Guesses at Truth, by Two Brothers, 1827



I am almost 2 weeks into my new role as a "teacher." So far it has been an enjoyable learning experience for me. I have the pleasure of spending 90 minutes a day with 21 excellent young people. They are at varied levels of English experience but I find their eagerness to learn and curiosity very inspiring. I also am enjoying the topic we are studying together, "Individuals that Impact our World." Thank you to the many of you that have shared your personal stories and ideas with me for this course. Keep them coming! Right now the students are researching an extraordinary person and writing a formal paper. I am looking forward to reading their work. They have chosen some incredible people, MLK, Lincoln, Muhammad Ali, Malala Yousafzai, Einstein, JFK, Obama, Tesla, Clinton, Mother Teresa, De Vinci, Jesus, Susan B. Anthony, C.S. Lewis, John Lennon, Isaac Newton, Galileo, Armstrong, Adam Smith, Shakespeare, and Freud. They also will be presenting to the class.

I begin each class with a quote from a notable person who has made a contribution to society. Today was "Music can change the world because it can change people." ~ Paul Hewson. No one seemed to know who he was as I gave some of his public humanitarian efforts and notable facts, including being nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize twice, touring the world with his band, and touring the world as an advocate for aids awareness and speaking out against poverty. It wasn't until I played "Beautiful Day" on my iPad that they realized it was BONO and all wanted to sing along. HA!

Please pray that this course, only 9 weeks long, will inspire these students to see themselves as leaders for a better Albania. There is a lot of corruption in the systems and government. It will take people of intelligence and integrity to bring about change. I see hope when I stand before this class. As more young people come to know Christ and choose to follow in His examples I believe there will be change. Lord let it start with us!

In other news, friends Phil and Betsy Moyer, from Salford Church visited Justin and I the other week. How wonderful to be in the company of these fine folks! They enjoyed meeting the Shahinis, touring the school, and spending time with friends in Kosovo. I enjoyed hugs from home, salsa from mom, and a fancy meal. In fact they had such a great experience they promised to return soon for a longer stay! How exciting!



 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment