Monday, September 9, 2013

Request!

I am shamelessly using my blog to elicit help from all of you. I just found out I will be teaching a class. I have decided to call it "Individuals that Impact our World." It will be a course for 11th and 12th graders. The content of the class will focus on people who through amazing efforts of peace and creative solutions, have made a positive impact on humanity. While engaging in this topic students will practice their skills of research, writing, group work, and public speaking. I have one week to come up with my outline and curriculum. The good news is that the students will do most of the work and I will be more of a facilitator. What I am asking you for help with is would you share your thoughts on this topic? Who is someone that you have seen make a positive contribution to our world? Also, if you have read a good book about that individual would you consider donating it to our library so we can increase our resources on amazing people and  this topic. I have no budget to work with so at this time the students will do all their research on the computers. I am open to creative ideas for the course as well. I hope to get some guest speakers from the Peace Corps and maybe some other connections that Klementina has. We also want to learn about the UN and take a field trip to the capital to see the government buildings. One resource I am wanting is Leymah Gbowee's book, "Mighty Be Our Powers". I have read it and found it very inspiring. If you could comment directly to the blog if you plan to send a book or email me directly your ideas to  cmoyerlac@gmail.com   And of course, pray for me as I lead this new course. It has potential to excite young minds to impact their own worlds. I am humbled by the opportunity and feel ill-equipped. 

3 comments:

  1. This video of Malala speaking to the UN is probably going to be my intro to the course. If you have time to watch it she is incredible and honestly her courage and strength brought tears to my eyes.

    http://youtu.be/QRh_30C8l6Y

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first thought is The Elders...are you familiar with this group and their work? Check out theelders.org. I will keep thinking and see if I have any books to recommend or send. Very cool topic though Moyer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you to Lois King for ordering me "Mighty is our Powers." LAC has a library but very few biographies and autobiographies. So these books will not only help my new class but be added to our library. Thank you!!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete